CUSTOM COAST CARS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next stage for lancer

+6
brett
on_boost
Killy
57-CLR
TUFF747
Tommy Lancer
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Next stage for lancer - Page 2 Empty Re: Next stage for lancer

Post by S13 Davo Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:29 am

I agree with fat tony, extractors are relatively cheap for the performance benefit and as you said u like your car and thats cool, but u have to admit the engine aint the best, but if you wanted to, being on your p's and all, keep ur visuals to a minimal and go port polished head, forged pistons and sports cam, all shit cops can't see unless they take off your rocker cover.

however, if you want a silvia, I am selling mine...
S13 Davo
S13 Davo
P Plater
P Plater

Back to top Go down

Post by TUFF747 Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:22 am

S13 Davo wrote:I agree with fat tony, extractors are relatively cheap for the performance benefit and as you said u like your car and thats cool, but u have to admit the engine aint the best, but if you wanted to, being on your p's and all, keep ur visuals to a minimal and go port polished head, forged pistons and sports cam, all shit cops can't see unless they take off your rocker cover.

however, if you want a silvia, I am selling mine...

Keep on topic, No advertising In other ppl's topics.
TUFF747
TUFF747
Admin

https://customcoastcars.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by on_boost Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:18 am

i think a silvia would be a smart purchase for a P plater, 2 ltr and rear wheel drive, or a impreza or a v-tec honda, theres a fair few choices that have decent potential so if you are after producig power then the best thing would be to sell your car and purchase one of the above athough if you are happy with the power ur car makes just leave it :]

if your engine ever blows or needs a rebuild you could put a 1.8 ltr in. not sure if the new 2ltrs would swap over or not.

theres other simple things you could do like replace the acordian looking hose between ur pod and throttle body with a smooth silicon peice, port and polish the throttle body/knife edge it. heat wrap your extractors, get light weight pullies, platinum spark plugs, custom leads, fully synthetic oil, 98 octane pump gas, earthing kit for your battery. remove ur air con if u wanna get hard core :p also remove any dead weight (spare tire, tools, only fill squirter bottle half way, remove rear seat) tighter spring will help with acceleration too, i think u shud do them next.

Last edited by on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
on_boost
on_boost
Open Driver
Open Driver

http://www.myspace.com/x_a_knife_4_ur_throat_x

Back to top Go down

Post by TUFF747 Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:24 am

v-tech:D:D:D for sure tommy
TUFF747
TUFF747
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Lancer Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:29 am

i'd be happy with a K20 honda racing engine Razz
Tommy Lancer
Tommy Lancer
OFFICAL CCC MEMBER
OFFICAL CCC MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:25 am

my mate has built an NA honda, runs high 13's down the quarter - purely Vtec yo.

is in the process of boosting it.

is good fun though, he has all the suspension work u can think of in it and he beat an evo 3 on the sprint circuit at queensland raceway by 3 seconds!

so they have a lot of potential!

good luck with what ever u choose though

Back to top Go down

Post by smokiebbear Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:42 am

Ok so having read other peoples opinions on what to do the big question is how much are you looking at spending? That will be the big decider on what you can do. Imho i wouldn't waste time with extractors as a car pushing less than 80kw at the wheels (not being smart here i'm just not sure what its putting out as it's not in your ride section so i'm just guessing) would hardly benifit from a 3-5% max power gain extractors will give you. You may get up to 10% if you do a whole new exhaust front to back but that would set you back a good $1,200 + i reckon. Now i don't know if there is an option to have the car re-tuned by someone locally or what power gains would be possible by doing it that way but you would probably get more power with a more agressive tune than what is in it now. If it was tuned more agressively to run on 98 octane up and then extractors/single hi flow cat/probably a 2.5 inch single back to your cannon may see gains of 15-20%. I wouldn't expect much change from $2k though and basically i couldn't see you picking up more that 15 or 20kw at the wheels. So you need to decide if your prepared to pay 100 per kw gained?

A few had stated in a bit of a smart a$$ way to sell it and get something else. I wouldn't go as far as saying that but what i would reccomend is to save your coin until you get off you p's and then get a turbo or a injected v8 . The hardest thing about playing with N/A 4's and not a big budget is its not going to get much faster unless you throw some serious cash at it.

Have you considered changing to ratio of the differential to something like 4.0:1? Should only set you back around $800 and i reckon that bang for buck if you get a tune for whatever on top maybe $400 mail order to $800 custom tune (not sure what they cost just based this on what a v8 tune costs) you would see more SOTP (Seat of the Pants) Metre for your hard earned coin.

Have you asked them over at the mitsubishi forum? I am a member there for when i have had problems with my magna and they are a great help.

Not many people think of diff gears as one of their first mods most go with zorsties and air intakes (get a ram style) etc but never underestimate the diff gears. I reckon you would pick up half a second to a second on a standing 1/4 in an otherwise stock lancer. An easy second with a tune and gears, throw in an exhaust with the tune and maybe you would even shave up to 1.5 seconds? Not too sure.

I also searched a bit and came up with this

http://www.mitsubishi-forums.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2040

Although i still think i'm on the right track with my reccomendations.

Let me know how you go Very Happy
smokiebbear
smokiebbear
P Plater
P Plater

http://www.ls1.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by TUFF747 Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:53 am

good input man.
TUFF747
TUFF747
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by smokiebbear Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:09 am

Yeah i hope it helps out some
smokiebbear
smokiebbear
P Plater
P Plater

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Lancer Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:28 am

thanks heaps, the link really put it in my face on whats next, thanks heaps for your help ay!

cheers
Tommy Lancer
Tommy Lancer
OFFICAL CCC MEMBER
OFFICAL CCC MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by smokiebbear Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:12 am

Have you decided on what you will do next?

Last edited by smokiebbear on Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : SpELLiNg)
smokiebbear
smokiebbear
P Plater
P Plater

Back to top Go down

Post by S13 Davo Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:26 am

just throwing this out there, not trying to be a party pooper or anything but please be really careful with what you decide because with these new p plater laws any mod which requires a mod plate is illegal so a full engine conversion is out of the question, so try and do things which are under the head or out of sight so cops can't tell, like port polishing, shaved head, and like smokiebbear suggested diff gears, which was a really really good idea because the higher your ratio the more acceloration you gain but less top speed, but i assume your lancer will have a speed limiter of 180km/h anyway.

thats my little input, hope it helps some what.
S13 Davo
S13 Davo
P Plater
P Plater

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Lancer Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:48 am

thanks davo i know how shitty cops get ay! haha
but as for what smokiebbear asked im thinking of making the piping for the air pod and improve air flow for now. someone said to get a front mount cooler too instead of the pod. i dont know , would that make any difference ?
Tommy Lancer
Tommy Lancer
OFFICAL CCC MEMBER
OFFICAL CCC MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by smokiebbear Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:53 am

Try and get something like this if they make em for lancers

Next stage for lancer - Page 2 Otrcolour010

Next stage for lancer - Page 2 Otr004

Its a Over the radiator cold air intake. It's a ram style intake so whatever passes through the front vents of the car is forced straight into the engine and it sucks air from outside the engine bay which as we all know is cooler than under the bonnet Very Happy One of these babys on an ls1 will pick up an extra 5mph over a 1/4 mile. But they are about 600 coin.
smokiebbear
smokiebbear
P Plater
P Plater

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Lancer Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:57 am

ah thats smart man, altho havin the air pipe on the side might be tricky to find something like that but ill see
Tommy Lancer
Tommy Lancer
OFFICAL CCC MEMBER
OFFICAL CCC MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by smokiebbear Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:00 am

You could make one with pipeing. Get some aluminium sheeting and some pipeing and you'll be fine. I will find a DIY and see if i can show you. Not exactly the same way bit you'll get the general idea. You can also then have your temp sensor run off that which will give you more HP as the engine will be running cooler air and the ecu will recognise that. You may be able to see my temp sensor in the pic on the right hand side in the colour pic. The temp sensor is the blue clip near the throttle body clipped into the OTR

Here you go. If you can't access the link let me know

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=89564&highlight=diy+otr

Last edited by smokiebbear on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:06 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling and additional info)
smokiebbear
smokiebbear
P Plater
P Plater

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Lancer Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:01 am

thanks man, oh if you find it theres an actual part of the site for diy's
cheers man
Tommy Lancer
Tommy Lancer
OFFICAL CCC MEMBER
OFFICAL CCC MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by smokiebbear Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:20 am

Do you have a pic of your engine bay? I may be able to draw you up a diagram of how to make one. I'd need a front on shot, a shot from the top and one of the front of the car showing where the cold air would be sucked from. Note: it needs to have unrestricted access to suck up the cold air so nothing can be in the way.
smokiebbear
smokiebbear
P Plater
P Plater

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Lancer Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:22 am

front:
Next stage for lancer - Page 2 DSCN2699

top:
Next stage for lancer - Page 2 DSCN2705
Tommy Lancer
Tommy Lancer
OFFICAL CCC MEMBER
OFFICAL CCC MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by smokiebbear Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:13 pm

I will have a look at the pics when i get home tonight and see if i can figure something out. I'm at work at the moment and we have restrictions on certain links eg : photobucket, imageshack etc so i can see them Sad I think i may be able to track down pics of a set up a mate has on his VE SS and you may be able to modify the design slightly to work on your Lancer.
smokiebbear
smokiebbear
P Plater
P Plater

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Lancer Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:01 pm

thanks for that!
Tommy Lancer
Tommy Lancer
OFFICAL CCC MEMBER
OFFICAL CCC MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by smokiebbear Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:52 am

Anyhow i have been real busy, My mate still hasn't got the pics to me and i'm not sure when he will have them. I did a quick "and dodgy" diagram with paint showing where i think it would need to come from to where it needs to go. I'm not sure what front spoiler you have on but the one i took from your ride section would need to be on to make this work....

So you would suck in the air here where i have circled in orange, yellow shows where the pipe sucks air from.

Next stage for lancer - Page 2 Abc123

and then here shows the route the pipe would need to take. How thick/How much room is there along this route? Would there be enough for a 4 inch pipe? You would need a big mouth opening for the start of the pipe such as the following diagram ... the yellow would be one big opening which connects to the pipe to suck air in.

Next stage for lancer - Page 2 Abc12345

And then you would need to run the 4 inch pipe back to a 3 inch or whatever it is that connects to the throttle body as shown here in another dodgy diagram ...

Next stage for lancer - Page 2 Abc1234

That would be getting cold air from outside the engine bay at all times then thus giving your car more power. Or you could try one like mine over the radiator. I will have to show you. If you go to the Dyno comp sunday i should be there around 11am i think and can show you how mine sits and if you have your car can show you where you would need to make room to put it. There is also another method which i will show you once i get these pics where the air filter sucks up cold air from the bottom of the engine bay which would be the second best and easiest design for your car.

Sorry the diagrams are not that clear as i am flat out busy between now and sunday or i would have spent more time making them easier to understand.
smokiebbear
smokiebbear
P Plater
P Plater

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Lancer Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:20 am

thanks heaps! i totaly agree with what ure sayin ay. i have been lookin into piping for it directly without the pod. at the moment i seen some cheap ones for $190.00
Tommy Lancer
Tommy Lancer
OFFICAL CCC MEMBER
OFFICAL CCC MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by smokiebbear Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:58 pm

Damn thats pretty cheap. Another option would be to put bonnet vents in. But instead of having the vents facing backwards you could turn them around so they drew air straight down to your current pod filter. ie instead of the vents facing this way <front onf car bonnet ///// < vents you could have them this way <front onf car bonnet \\\\ < vents. although that would involve cutting a hole in your bonnet directly above and slightly in front also of the pod and i'm not sure if your too keen on doing that.

If you were going to do it then a pre fabricated one like this would be the best option (sorry i can't host images from the work computer so i'm using links) http://www.coolercases.co.uk/images/sound_vision/26.jpg

This one looks good also (not sure if it is the same) http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/resources/images/list/AC50.jpg

If you made up one of these then underneath the bonnet you could make up a shroud so that the pod fits inside it and only sucks air from the scoop. The faster you go the more forced air will be driven into the engine also. Does your lancer have a MAF (Mass Air Flow Metre) If so this design may force too much air in and you will most likely need to tune your car to run without the MAF.

My cousin had a LJ Torrie with an offset design like this but he had a huge a$$ turbo under the bonnet. And i think it'd look cool with a small scoop about 4-5cms cms high and maybe 10-15cms wide. Would probably cost around $400 to do this as you would need to cut a hole in the bonnet and have the scoop sprayed and put on at panel shop.

The only problem with that is it's not a "stealth" approach to modding and may attract some unwanted attention even though it's 100% legal.
smokiebbear
smokiebbear
P Plater
P Plater

Back to top Go down

Post by on_boost Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:14 am

there is no point making more air go into the engine unless your going to upgrade your fuel system. you will throw the manufacturers air fuel raitos out of wack. In fact the is no point in modifying an engine's performance at all unless your going to upgrade the engine managment and get it tuned. (unless its old school carburetted)
on_boost
on_boost
Open Driver
Open Driver

http://www.myspace.com/x_a_knife_4_ur_throat_x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum: